Thursday, October 21, 2010

Two weeks notice

Flexibility is a virtue, or so I hear.  The Universe is trying to teach me about virtues like this (read "the ones I don't have") and I gotta tell you, I'm on life-lesson overload!

Yesterday afternoon I received a call while I was throwing dog hair covered clothes into my bag for the today's trip back to Bethesda.  The call was from the Nurse of the pituitary surgeons who were scheduled to perform my exploratory surgery on Monday.  Hetty was telling me we have to reschedule the surgery for Monday 11/8/2010.  At least that's what I thought she said because all of a sudden things started getting a little fuzzy and if I wasn't already sitting on the floor of my office I would have ended up there.  I was already checked in for my flight (bless Southwest Airlines), Jason our trusty house/pup sitter needed to be cancelled/rescheduled, Keith needed to reschedule airline tix and a week off work, and most importantly, I was counting on finally getting an answer, whatever that answer is, and now I have to wait another 2 weeks.  Can't focus...room spinning...A voice in the distance saying "Carol, are you still there?"...

OK, back to reality.  The big hoo-ha NIH/UVA pituitary surgeon Dr. Oldfield has a conflict and needs to reschedule.  I know these things happen, and they happen to me enough that it shouldn't be surprising anymore.  So I am officially rescheduled to have surgery on November 8th.  I'll return to the NIH Clinical Center on November 4th.  At least that's the plan right now.  Lest you think there is no glass-half-full aspect to this, the new flights I booked are direct, at better times, and $2.50 cheaper than the ones I was going to take.  Winner!!

Yes, I'm disappointed that we are not getting this show on the road today.  Yes, the prospect of living on a diabetic diet for yet another 2 weeks makes me want to throw myself in front of an oncoming pastry cart.  Yes, I am desperate to get back to the life I had 1 1/2 years ago before Cushings symptoms started showing up and before I had and recovered from hip replacement surgery.  But it's two weeks not an eternity, and disappointment won't kill me.  So here I am in holding mode, but still a lucky Princess.  A Princess who is learning the virtue of flexibility...

GO GIANTS!! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment