Thursday, October 7, 2010

And we're walking....

When you've had a hitch in your giddy up for as long as I have, how long does it take to re-learn how to walk without it?  After last Friday's back surgery, that is the million (Billion?  A million doesn't go as far as it used to...) dollar question these days. 

My gait is a conglomeration of accommodations.  Trying to mitigate pain and weakness has left me with something looking like a drunk, off balance, hobbler when I walk.  Some, at this point, may say "seems like what you look like when you're walking is the least of your problems".  They would be right, but this is me.  I can't fix much, can't control much when it comes to my medical condition these days.  But darn-it-all-to-heck, I can try to walk like I was sober!  And in case anyone was indeed wondering, I have been stone sober for way, way, WAY too long!  But I digress...

So my post-back surgery project is to walk slowly, and relearn symmetry.  The Fabulous Pink Cane is very much in use to keep me balanced and as little a hazard to myself and others as possible.  Cushing's induced muscle atrophy in my legs makes this project a little harder, but I will be even again!  As God is my witness, I will be even again!

I will be walking alot between now and when I go back to Bethesda for Pituitary Surgery.  Hopefully I'll be able to do it in a relatively straight line by the time I leave on the 21st.  Maybe you'll see a video here on the blog.  I hear I can include that...I just need to find a 6 year old to show me how!

No comments:

Post a Comment