Saturday, October 23, 2010

I scream, you scream, we all scream...

...for Ice Cream!

Do you know how long it's been since I have had ice cream?  Longer than it's been since I've had a good (or bad for that matter) glass of chardonnay.  And that officially is way too long!  Why is it I don't just go to my local HyVee, plunk down my dinero, purchase a box of wine and gallon of frozen fabulousness and sit with my stemware and spoon until both are drained down to the cardboard?  Aside from the intestinal implications, there is a huge reason - control.

If we go back a few weeks, you'll remember that in one of my posts I mentioned that technically, according to one of the tests I had at the NIH, I am now a diabetic.  Cushing's effects the body's ability to breakdown sugars and the possibility of developing permanent diabetes is very real.  The trick is not to tax the body too much until the Cushing's is under control so that everything goes back to normal.  Luckily I read this very early on in this saga, and have been watching my diet.   The American Diabetes Association website is great for giving tips about things to eat/not eat, what things break down into sugar in your system faster than others (this is great for choosing which fruits and veggies to eat), and even recipes.  And since I actually like brussels sprouts, broccoli, bulgur wheat, brown rice, and other healthy stuff, and I have a  pretty good rudimentary knowledge of nutrition, it hasn't been too hard to stick to a diabetic diet better than, I suspect, most diabetics. 

But back to my point about control.  There isn't much about my Cushing's situation I can control these days.  My body is doing what it wants regardless of how much I will it to do otherwise and this is not a good situation for a classic obsessive/compulsive like myself!  I can control what I put in my mouth though, so I have latched onto that like a shark on a surfer.  So when you read that I am once again dreaming about a plate of nachos bigger than my head, know it is borne out of deprivation, but deprivation necessary on several levels - my body and my OCD brain's need to control. 

How does this relate to ice cream?  I let myself have some yesterday and it was GOOD!  A dear girlfriend who was exposed to my Wednesday meltdown surrounding the rescheduling of the surgery brought me my favorite ice cream and a very special (and very worthy of the Princess I am!) bowl out of which to eat it.  And I did.  And did I mention that it was good??  So the moral of this story (and perhaps yet another life lesson??) is even a control freak needs to relax and let a little joy in a fabulous Princess bowl into their lives every now and again!  So, my dear Readers, go forth and indulge in a little bit of your favorite thing this weekend in honor of the Princess.  And if you can do it while wearing a tiara, all the better!!

The Royal Bowl

No comments:

Post a Comment