Friday, October 29, 2010

Normal? Seriously?

If it's one thing I don't feel these days it's normal.  Normal in a human sense, normal in a feel healthy sense and definitely normal in a Princess Carol sense.  There is no normal in Carol-ville.  But yesterday came close.

I woke up to yet another day of no pain from the nerve in my left hip/leg (that made it 3 in a row for those of you keeping track), and a pretty good energy level.  So I did my usual morning chores and tasks - laundry, clean up the kitchen, balance the checkbook, filing and shredding in the office, etc. - and decided to blow the doors off in the afternoon by undertaking a bigger project.  I have learned to lay out my days like this through experience.  The things I feel I have to get done must be tackled in the morning because my after lunch energy levels are unpredictable at best.  You can have the most detailed to do list in the world but if you can't lift your head off the sofa it doesn't really do any good!  Afternoons are wild cards but yesterday I figured I had a good shot and having the energy to do something a bit bigger than usual.

I cleared out and organized part of the basement!!  What?  You thought I was going to say "I built a new addition on the house" or something?  Not yesterday, maybe tomorrow.  Anyhow, there were several boxes and bins of things that haven't been touched since we moved in 5 years ago and that means, in the Princess world, that we probably don't need what's in them.  I was on a mission.  I won't bore you with the spidery, dirty (and not in a good way) details, but at a slow pace a garbage bag was filled, a donate-to-charity pile was created, bins were emptied, empty boxes were put in the recycling and space was made!  I didn't have to do any heavy lifting (still restricted due to that nutty back surgery of 3 weeks ago), and not too much walking either.  But I did get to organize and clean out which a) I LOVE and 2) makes me feel normal.

The even better part of this story is that I still felt good after the basement project.  Again, good is relative.  But no pain in my hip/leg, and no complete and utter limp-as-a-rag-doll exhaustion!  Winner!  However, in the spirit of full disclosure, I was in bed by 7:00. Oh come on!  Like I never did that before the Cushings!!!

So yesterday was a great day.  And today feels good so far.  Whether I'll feel normal remains to be seen, but a little taste of normal from yesterday can carry me for a while.  And I just have to make it to Thursday when I get on a plane for Maryland...unless something changes...again...  

No comments:

Post a Comment