Friday, November 19, 2010

Where oh where has my potassium gone?

One of the possible side effects of taking Muffy is a drop in potassium.  Yesterday mine fell through the floor.  I don't know why that's a really big deal, but it is.  Bottom line is that from about midnight to 5 this morning I was either taking, waiting for, or being tested after IV bags of potassium.  Unfortunately potassium isn't a pleasant thing to have dripping into you and brings more than a little burning and stinging with it.  Enough to keep even seasoned sleepers like me awake and uncomfortable.  The good news is that by morning that level was stabilized and I can take pills to keep it where it needs to be.

My sodium level has also dropped today which is not quite so easy to manipulate.  So I'm on restricted fluids right now to see if my body can straighten that out. For a water drinker like me, this is really a test of wills.  I've been thirsty all day...maybe it's psychosomatic...

The scans I had this week did not turn up any tumor.  The news is disappointing, but not a surprise.  We will keep looking at probably 6 month intervals theory being to give the tumor time to grow and show up on scans. 

I'm continuing to take Muffy the study medication and aside from the potassium and sodium issues it seems to be setting with my body pretty well.  Now we just have to wait to see if it is having the desired results on my cortisol level.  Hopefully we'll know more about that early next week and I'll be on the road to recovery.  If all your appendages haven't cramped up yet, keep them crossed for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment