Sunday, November 28, 2010

Riddle me this Batman...

How is it that I can endure weeks of blood draws, scans, injections, pills, IV's and being radioactive feeling relatively good, but the common cold makes me want to curl up in a heap and surrender!  I woke up on Thanksgiving morning with the sniffles and a scratchy throat.  By the time the day was over I knew I was a goner.  Friday and Saturday I didn't venture far from a horizontal position either on the sofa or in bed.  There was much nose blowing, coughing, sneezing and general moaning about how this is the worst cold ever known to man.  Thankfully this morning found me feeling much better as the dreaded man-killing cold begins to move out of my system...

So far it seems that Muffy is still coexisting well with my system.  I don't notice any reduction in my Cushings symptoms, except that my blood pressure is back in the 120/80 range.  This is good news because even though I'm taking about a million different blood pressure medications for Cushings related hypertension, before Muffy I was still hovering in the 150/100 range.  Whether this change is Muffy related or not, I'll take it.

I'm still watching out for side effects that could be problematic.  Muffy works by blocking the action of cortisol in my system.  I am still producing too much cortisol, but my body now doesn't pay attention to all of  it.  The biggest problem with this is there is a possibility that the cortisol may be blocked too much and I go into something called Adrenal Insufficiency.  And that's bad.  But, in what I am sure is a concerted effort  by the Cushings Gods to drive me insane, the symptoms of Adrenal Insufficiency (AI) are tiredness, weakness, stomach ache, low blood pressure and joint aches.  So I'm supposed to be able to draw the distinction between AI and the need to take hydrocortisone STAT, and the way I have felt most of the time for months.  If anything can make me paranoid and a hypochondriac, this will!

No comments:

Post a Comment