Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A teaching moment...

I thought I'd take the opportunity to enlighten you on some of the knowledge I've gained during my stays here at the NIH Clinical Center:

  • When someone tells you "it'll just be a little prick", get ready to peel yourself off the ceiling
  • Peeing in a jug gets old after 4 days
  • There is no time of the day or night that is off limits to get blood drawn
  • Your poop matters
  • When stuck in a scanning machine with your arms over your head for 45 minutes, your shoulders start to hurt...and your hands, elbows and biceps go numb
  • When stuck in a scanning machine with your arms over your head for 45 minutes and you have to pee, tough luck
  • When injected with radioactive goo, you will set off personal radioactive detectors
  • The number of times a medical professional tells you to relax is inversely related to the amount you actually can relax
  • No matter how bad you feel, someone always feels worse
Today I started the study medication that will hopefully succeed in bringing down my cortisol level into the normal range.  Keep your fingers crossed it works without inflicting side effects that are more detrimental than the Cushings itself.  In the meantime, I'm still getting scanned, drained of my blood and peeing in a jug at all hours of the day and sometimes night.  Neither the fun nor the hope ever ends...

No comments:

Post a Comment