Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Carol's going home!

It's official - I'm going home tomorrow.  I have a plane reservation and everything!  The scans that I did have scheduled for tomorrow were deemed unnecessary based on the scans I had yesterday and today.  So tomorrow's scans have been cancelled and I'm on my way back to KC.

I'll be coming back here to Bethesda on October 21st for pre-op tests, and will have exploratory pituitary surgery on October 25th.  I met with the surgeon today and LOVE him.  I can't say enough about the caliber of people that are attached to the National Institutes of Health.  I hope, if you take nothing else away from my experience here, that everyone now has some knowledge and appreciation for the NIH.  If the surgeons cannot locate and remove a tumor in my pituitary gland during the October 25th surgery, then we will proceed with artificially suppressing cortisol production via medication.  But we're keeping our fingers crossed that the exploratory surgery will yield results and that I will be on my way to be Cushing's free by November!!

Think good travel thoughts for me on Wednesday, and I'll still be blogging during my time at home.  If I have that plate of nachos bigger than my head, there will be a posted picture!  I promise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment