Saturday, September 18, 2010

Rollin', rollin', rollin'...

It wouldn't be a day at the NIH Clinical Center without a morning blood draw.  But as soon as they got their quota to test my unstimulated cortisol/ACTH level, the day was my own!  Woo-hoo!  No pokes, sticks, scans or peeing in a jug!  It's gonna be a good day...

This morning's exciting activities included doing a load of laundry, a trip to the library upstairs for a weekend reading selection, a walk outside, oh, and taking a bucketfull of morning medication.  But it all paled in anticipation of the 1:00 bus tour of Washington DC!  If you didn't know just how big a Dork I am, you'll soon find out.

I don't know what it is about the thought of seeing the sights of DC, but I've been looking forward to it since I found out I was coming here.  Even if it's through the windows of a cruising shuttle bus.  There are so many moments in the history of this country that are commemorated here it overwhelms me.  To experience any of them is to immerse oneself in the amazing past of the United States.  Today was a cursory view.  A top down, if you will, of buildings, monuments and areas. And I was glued to my window.

We did make a stop to exit the shuttle bus at the Lincoln memorial.  Wow.

Once the Fabulous Pink Cane and I made it up all the stairs at the Lincoln Memorial (there are alot of them, by the way) I just stood in the corner and took in Abe's aura.  I can't imagine what it took him to believe that keeping this Country together was worth fighting and dying for.  A level of integrity that distinguishes the extrordinary individuals from the merely ordinary.  In an area to the right of this picture, is Lincoln's 2nd innaugural address carved into the wall.  I stood and read the words, eloquently written by Abe or one of his trusty speech writer minions, and was in awe of the enormity of both the time and the prose. 

After basking in the world of Lincoln for a few more minutes, I ventured back down the steps and perched with a view of the Washington Memorial. 

The weather was beautiful, the people were interesting and, quite frankly, it was just great being outside taking it all in.  I hate to admit how much this little historical jaunt sapped my strength, but by the time we shuttled back to the NIH, I was ready for a nap!   

No comments:

Post a Comment