Thursday, January 6, 2011

What we can learn about Cushings from Marvel comics

Does anyone but me remember the old TV show from the late 70's "The Incredible Hulk"?  Not the big budget Hollywood extravaganza of late (I never saw it), but the little TV show staring Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno in a bad green wig.  Am I dating myself here?  Fine.  I admit it.  I am of the television era of "Little House on the Prairie", "M*A*S*H", "The Jeffersons", and "Happy Days" before Ron Howard left the cast.  And I liked it.  But I digress...

For those of you unfamiliar with the background of the Hulk, Dr. David Banner (David in the TV show, Bruce in the comic book and movie) got shot with some sort of gamma ray thingy resulting in whenever his heart rate gets too high, he turns into this giant green monster-ish thing that somehow doesn't retain Dr. Banner's ability to speak.  He always ends up wearing the shredded remains of the Dr.'s pants, tearing off the what's left of his shirt, and goodness only knows what happened to the poor man's shoes.  It's a good thing this guy was a doctor since he must have spent a  fortune on clothes.  When the hulk turned back into the doctor, when the stressful situation had concluded, we'd see Bill Bixby looking dazed and uncomfortable in shredded pants.  The transition to and from Hulk-ness was hard on Dr. Banner and he was physically spent after going green.

How does this possibly relate to Carol and her Cushings you may ask?  I feel like Lou Ferrigno turning back into Bill Bixby...without the shredded pants.   I can feel that my body is stressed out dealing with all the changes it's going through.  It's like my body chemistry got brought to a screeching halt, thrown in reverse and is now careening backwards down a path that I can't see at a breakneck pace.  Sometimes I have energy, sometimes I don't.  My blood pressure, while staying in a normal range, fluctuates broadly.  I'm losing the 50 lbs that Cushings brought, and I think my hair has stopped falling out.  Thanks to Muffy, my body is slowly getting back to normal after spending the last year turning into the Hulk.  But it's hard, exhausting work for a body to start functioning normally after being out of whack for so long.  Not to mention  the obvious wardrobe implications.

So you see, comic book characters can reflect our own lives if we look hard enough.  So can 70's TV shows.  I'm just glad that turning green is not one of the Cushings side effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment