Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go...

I knew the day would come.  The day when I would re-enter the real world.  Not the world I've been living in that revolves around medical issues, but the world outside the confines of medication and limitations.  The working world.

A little over a year ago I started working at the front desk of Brighton Gardens assisted living community.  It was a part time gig, and I loved it.  I answered the phones, greeted visitors, helped residents and did anything else anyone wanted to throw my way.  By February 2010 I was also working in the activities office organizing their files and, again, doing anything anyone wanted to throw my way.  But by April my body was breaking down and I couldn't make it through even my 4 hour shift.  I was exhausted, weak, my stomach was constantly upset, my blood pressure was out of sight high, I couldn't concentrate and I didn't know why.  That's when the Cushing's saga started, and my great part time job ended...or went on hiatus.

Last weekend I started working at the front desk again.  The staff is great and only schedules me for 4 hours at a time.  They understand any more than that is just a little too much for me.  I was a little nervous at the start.  I didn't know how well I'd hold up.  But it worked out great.  I ended up working in the afternoon all this week.  I did crash hard on Friday night, but I other than that, I held up pretty well.  I'm continuing the schedule next week too, and that will be quite the test of my stamina.  However, as worn out as I may be, just having a "normal" aspect back in my life is well worth it.

Aging is an interesting process that we are all destined to go through.  One of the reasons I enjoy this job so much is being able to interact with the residents and, in some ways, see my own future.  There are so many characters at Brighton Gardens of all shapes, sizes and mental capacities.  I'd like to think I'll be a Cassie when I get into my eighties.  She is a bridge shark that revels the nickels she wins during her weekly game.  Cassie can create the most amazing things from yarn and knitting needles, and is constantly on the go.  Maybe I'll have a little Cookie thrown in.  She is a tough lady packed into a 5' package, zooming around with her walker and spouting wisdom and joy as she goes.  Cookie also makes a mean ginger snap.  I got her to give me her recipe!  Of course I'll probably have a little Jo thrown in.  She isn't always on the same day and time as everyone else, and has a temper that can get a walker thrown at you.  And I'm sure I'll have some Lena in there too.  She needs to have things done just so and will insist on it.  Get in the way of her on the way to a smoke break (never mind that she's on oxygen) and you'll get run over by a woman with purpose and a walker. 

I've learned so much about life from just watching all of the residents at BG.  Aging is not always a fun process.   You need help that you never needed or wanted before.  You don't always feel good.  You can't do what you used to be able to do.  You want to live your life the way you've always lived it even though you know it's not possible.  These are my people.  This is my place.  If that means I have to deal with a resident that has lost his mail key for the 5th time in a month, getting yelled at because the evening movie didn't start at exactly the right time, searching for the occasional misplaced walker, flirting with a gentleman who may think he's talking to his late wife, or convincing someone that their husband is not at the restaurant waiting for her (since he passed away 25 years ago), then so be it.  I always get more out of being at Brighton Gardens than I feel like I'm putting in.  And for the first time in a long time, I can forget about Cushing's for a few hours a day.  Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment