Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Let's get physical

I've got two physical therapy sessions under my belt and I can safely say I'm not quite as in the hole physically as I thought.  I'm still in pretty bad shape, but maybe just at -50 instead of -100. 

A good physical therapist is charged not only with providing the exercises and direction to make the body recover, but also giving realistic goals and programs so that progress is made and discouragement is minimized.  I am lucky enough to have a therapist that is great in both.  It would be hard for me to be encouraged by being able to do 10 reps of something that a year ago I could do 100.  But Jeanne has a knack of making my 10 reps seem like 100 in terms of accomplishment.  It's all about setting realistic goals and celebrating achieving them.  I have proven completely inept in setting realistic goals for myself these days so this process is very good for me.

My muscles are tired and starting to get sore already.  But that's good.  It's good to be working hard again.  It's good to be working my body again.  It may not be as fun as I'd like, but it's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment