Sunday, May 1, 2011

Me and my bag full of drugs...

Riddle me this Batman - How did the healthiest person I know end up driving downtown to a DEA Prescription Drug Drop Off Day venue with a shopping bag full of bottles and packets from the last year?  Just lucky I guess.  But it was a little weird.

I suppose the good news is that I no longer have to take the handfuls of blood pressure medication that I used to.  And then there was the debacle of the first Cushing's medication I took.  Ketoconazole.  We called it "Kamikaze".  That should have been an omen that the outcome would not be good.  That and the fact that it "works on most Cushing's patients".  That was the kiss of death, and lead to the leftover meds I had to take when my liver started to shut down thanks to the Kamikaze.  Then there was the potassium pills the size of which is appropriate to feeding to livestock.  Add a few random things like muscle spasm meds from my back surgery, and voila!  A bag full of pills appears!

But this experience was yet another sign that life is so much better today than a year ago for me.  It's been a wild ride, but well worth it considering the flip side.

I leave on Monday for another visit to the NIH in Bethesda.  This trip will be not only the usual medication study follow up stuff, but I'm also scheduled to be scanned stem to stern looking, yet again, for the little tumor that is the cause of my Cushing's.  Everyone keep your  fingers crossed that we find it this time.  I know it's a little strange to hope we find a tumor, but that's just the way it goes.  I never could do things the way everyone else does.

Happy spring everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment