Friday, May 20, 2011

"I simply remember my favorite things....

...and then I don't feel so bad..."

Channeling my inner Julie Andrews this morning.  Minus the Alps and a brood of singing children of course.  But I am appreciating some things lately that I thought I'd share.  Kind of "My Favorite Things part deux" if you will.  They've changed a bit since I posted them months ago.  My world has expanded a bit since then and I couldn't be more pleased.  It's been a bumpy road, but I've never been without things to appreciate and feel lucky about.  Here are some current ones...

My face.  No, I have not turned into a supermodel or had extensive plastic surgery.  I'm basically still the same self-loathing person with body image issues that I've always been.  But I have my face back.  For better, for worse.  It's my face.  I see it every time I look in the mirror or window.  Me.  I'm back.  I'm just me.  Not a sick unrecognizable me.  My face is like that pesky brother (sorry Jim!) that we all know of.  They bug you to no end but you miss them to tears when they're gone!

My closet.   Not because it's fabulously huge or well organized.  Not even because it has lots of fabulous clothes.  But it once again has clothes that fit.  I don't dread going into it because nothing fits or looks decent when I put it on. I can close my eyes and pick anything and put it on.  Jeans too!  None of my clothes are flashy or terribly expensive, but they're mine.  They were mine before Cushing's and now they're mine to wear again.

My diamond stud earrings.  Keith got these for me years ago when we lived in Tahoe.  I always wanted diamond earrings.  What Princess doesn't?  But I'd only wear them for special occasions afraid I'd wear them out, or use them up.  They were too nice to wear.  Hell,  now I wear them every day.  Life is too darn short to let your favorite things sit for another day.  There may not be another day.  Enjoy things now no matter how big or small.  Today is a day too.  Live it.  And live it in diamond earrings!

My gym.  A refuge.  Time for me to watch movies, listen to podcasts and sweat like the little piggy I am.  Sure it's a little painful right now, but after hip surgery it'll be even more awesome. 

1776 the musical.  I have the 1972 movie starring William Daniels and Ken Howard (anyone else old enough to remember the White Shadow??  Anyone?) on my ipod.  I can watch it over and over.  It makes my time on the stationary bike just FLY by.  I do feel a kindred spirit to John Adams...

Starbucks venti decaf soy sugar free vanilla latte.  If you can remember to get all that out, the drink is FABULOUS!  Just what the doctor ordered after getting blood drawn. 

There you have it.  The things that make me especially happy today.  Tomorrow could be different.  I shall keep you updated!  Now put those diamond earrings in and go embrace life!

1 comment:

  1. you're right....Life IS too short to not wear your diamond earrings...I'm wearing mine!

    ReplyDelete