Thursday, May 19, 2011

The results are in!

And the winner is.....ME!

"I'd like to thank the Academy, and all the little people for this honor..."

Oops, sorry.  Just having an Academy award moment...back to reality...

It is true, however, that the results are in from the blood and glucose tolerance tests I took on Monday.  In a nutshell, I am pretty amazing.

I totally aced my glucose tolerance test.  I am SO not diabetic.  This is good news.  It's also good news that my gaggle figured out why I had failed the test so badly before and how to test their theory.  What we all learned is that it is indeed possible to eat too healthily.  Seriously.  I'm not kidding.  Just to review, the theory was that my diet was so clean, and while healthy, included very few carbs, that my pancreas forgot how to metabolize large amounts of sugar which is what the glucose tolerance test is.  So I ate more carbs for a week (crackers, white rice, fruit, orange juice, and one isolated cookie incident that will remain confidential) and aced the test.  My pancreas came through with flying colors and when prepped for the test proved that Carol Davis can still cram for any test you put before her and win...I mean pass.  I still got it!

The blood cortisol test was a little less fabulous.  To recap, my cortisol level, which prior to taking Muffy was off the charts high, was now bottom of the basement low.  Muffy isn't supposed to effect cortisol production so this result is a mystery.  A bit of a distressing mystery since low cortisol has some pretty icky effects just like high cortisol does.  The good news is that my cortisol level went up after not taking Muffy for a week.  The bad news is that it didn't come up very much.  This leads us to believe that Muffy isn't the direct culprit, but my adrenals, for whatever reason, have decided to go on holiday and check out.  Grudgingly they spewed out a little more cortisol this week, but obviously weren't happy doing so.  Next step involves a jug in the fridge and a hat in the toilet.  We in the know call the pee catcher in the loo a "hat" which gets emptied into the jug which has to be kept in the fridge.  The 24 hour urine test is a better indicator of my cortisol level than a morning blood test, but I'll have one of those on Monday too when I take in my big jug o' pee for processing.  We hope that my cortisol keeps rising believe it or not.  Until it gets back up to normal, I am taking steroids to supplement.  How's that for ironic?  We are slightly crunched for time to get my cortisol stabilized before my hip replacement surgery on June 15.  Since trauma to the body effects cortisol levels, we want to medicate accordingly.  But in order to know how to do that I need to be reasonably stable first.  Chances are I'll just kind of fly by the seat of my, well, me.  Playing it by ear seems to work for me.  Don't really know why...

So there you have it.  Next order of business is the hip replacement on the 15th and until then getting drained of blood and peeing in a hat.  Just a normal few weeks in the Davis-Nunes household.  Sometimes you just have to laugh...

No comments:

Post a Comment