Sunday, June 5, 2011

"Seriously, you do not want to put that in your coffee..."


It's like old times!  Nothing like a jug o' pee in the fridge to get the day started off right!  Betcha wish you were me right now...

Got good news/bad news last week from my last blood cortisol test taken on May 27th.  I left for Red Bluff on May 29th, so I knew I'd get results while out at Mom and Dad's house.  Friday June 3rd I got a call from Penny in my KC doctor's office telling me that my cortisol level was up to 13.7.  That was quite a jump from the blood draw I had taken on Monday May 23rd, and gets me right back up into Cushing's "too much cortisol" range.  I had been mysteriously low in the cortisol department for the last month or so and have been off Muffy trying to get my level back up to normal.  Being the over achiever I am, I shot right past that last week!

This is good news because it shows that my adrenals are rallying.  They had been suppressed for some reason and not producing cortisol even though my pituitary was telling it to do so.  It seems that Muffy had something to do with that, even though it isn't supposed to effect the adrenals at all, because having been off it for a month, my cortisol is going back up.  However, this is also bad news.  We're back to trying to control a moving target that we don't quite know why or how it's going to move.  Cuz it couldn't be easy or anything.  So I'm going to be having weekly blood tests, pee tests and trying medication doses in the coming weeks in conjunction with having my left hip replaced.  Good times!

I'm trying to just put myself in the hands of my gaggle who will eventually figure this, and all things, out.  I rely on their sense of sport and instinct to respond to a challenge to set me and my endocrine system right.  In the meantime, I'm watching for symptoms of out of control cortisol to return.  Will I wake up tomorrow 50 lbs heavier with a face like Shrek?  Will I start to lose the muscle I've been able to rebuild over the last few months?  Will I sleep through the night or return to the days when sleeping past 2am was a luxury?  Tune in to find the answers to these and other pressing questions on the next installment of "Days of Our Cushing's".

Oh, and today's most favorite thing: baby dill pickles...Discuss...

No comments:

Post a Comment