Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Wow!

Well, that's about all I have to say.  Wow.  I am recovering great so far from left hip replacement surgery last Wednesday 6/15/2011.  What a difference two years make!  The last time we went through this process was 6/24/2009 and we thought it went off without a hitch.  This time is 100% better and I chalk that up to having my Cushing's relatively under control and having my entire gaggle firing on all it's glorious cylinders. 

We did some medication madness to pre-dose my body for the trauma of surgery, and I can only assume it was a complete success.  I also was able to continue to workout (although not necessarily comfortably) at the gym up to a few days before going under the knife.  My cortisol level in the weeks running up to the surgery was jumping around quite a bit, but it at least wasn't off the charts high.  While this is still a Cushing's quandary, it worked in my favor in this case. 

Surgery was Wednesday, they sprung me from the hospital on Friday.  Got tired of seeing me doing laps around the nurses station I guess.  There were several people on the ward who remembered me from two years ago and it was like old home week!  Michelle, my physical therapist, and I got all caught up on her now 2 1/2 year old and her softball playing husband, Doreen, my night nurse, laughed about old TV shows and how young everyone else around us seems to be getting, and Jackie the social worker got me all set up with in home follow up care just like last time.  Really, I couldn't have asked, nor certainly expected, a smoother process. 

So now I'm home, doing laps around the house with my walker, terrorizing the dogs with the 4 legged silver thing with the tennis balls on 2 of it's feet.  I have an in-home nurse visiting a couple times a week as well as an in-home physical therapist.  This should go on through next week.  I'm doing my p/t exercises several times a day, tooling around the house and doing little chores as much as possible, and even walking up and down the street with my Florence Nightingale Keith.  Let's face it - I'm bored out of my mind, but the fact that I'm doing so well so far is comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment