Sunday, June 26, 2011

Relax, shrelax...

I know I'm supposed to be taking it easy, allowing my body to rest and recover from, oh, I don't know, HIP REPLACEMENT SURGERY 11 days ago.  But seriously, do you realize how difficult that is?  Prior to surgery I lived my life at an 8 on the pain-o-meter.  Post surgery, even with 30 staples in my ass and physical therapy exercises and stairs and everything else, I'm seldom hitting a 4.  How do I just lay around and do nothing?  So I putter.  Every trip up and down the stairs will get me better faster.  Every lap around the living room will strengthen my legs a little more.  Every leg lift and squat at the microwave while my coffee is heating is doing nothing but helping me.  And when I need to nap, I nap.  With all the enjoyment and appreciation that anyone should have while napping.  But until I get hit by the random medical malady bus that happens to enter our house every now and again, catch me if you can!

On the Cushing's front, it's roaring back with a vengeance.  To recap, my last trip to the NIH in May found that my cortisol level was way too low and chalked it up to a side effect from taking the experimental Muffy medication.  I stopped taking Muffy, and since then my cortisol levels have been bouncing around like a ping pong ball.  But it seems to finally calmed down a  bit and is consistently rising back up to my 24/7 all cortisol all the time production!  Woo-hoo!  I do love consistency!  This isn't necessarily good news.  I mean, it would be better if my system miraculously went back to normal and my cortisol level just stayed where it is supposed to be.  Yeah, that's not gonna happen.  So we know that the rogue tumor that's living in here somewhere is still cranking away wreaking havoc.  While I am recovering from surgery, my gaggle is working on a new medication plan to try to get the cortisol level under control.  We won't be going back to Muffy given what it did last time, but I feel pretty good that I was able to help find things out about Muffy in the study that may help someone else...and it didn't kill me in the process.  WINNING!

So my advice to everyone today is go forth and putter.  Do something on that to do list.  Have fun.  Laugh.  And appreciate the fact that you don't have staples in your ass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment