Wednesday, April 6, 2011

There's a bright golden haze on the meadow...

OK, I have the Oklahoma song running through my head.  But take out "meadow" and insert "front yard" and you've got my day today.

I'm not a huge gardener.  I don't have a black thumb, but I wouldn't necessarily say I have a green thumb either.  But I love having flowers and happy plants around me.  They make me smile.  They look pretty.  For the last two years I haven't been able to work in the yard.  2009 saw me down from hip surgery, and 2010 I was down on the couch with Cushings.  I'm not trying to make up for that lost time; that isn't possible on any front.  But I am having a great time this year working my fingers to the nubbin perking the place up.

Today I finished working in the front yard.  I used annuals in pots this year to add some merry color to the front of the house.  I've never been a fan of annuals.  It seems like such a waste to spend money on something that is just going to bloom this year and be done.  But this year we're celebrating.  Celebrating life, celebrating activity, celebrating nature.  And celebrations need happy flowers whether they're here next year or not!!  Once my roses start to bloom, the whole front of the house will be flower central!  Here's a pic of what we look like right now...
I hauled bags of mulch and potting soil, made several trips to Lowe's, dug holes in soil that hasn't been dug in many, many years, weed-be-gone'd the walk edges and generally spruced up the place.  The sun was out, the humidity was down and the breeze was light.  All in all, it was a fabulous day!

Now I'll start on the back yard.  It's a little more complicated than the front yard.  It's bigger and it's got more stuff going on.  Not to mention that Erin likes to dig holes in which she lays and suns herself.  No plant is safe if it's in a place she wants to lay.  Oh well, I'll just enjoy spending the time outside just like she does...And when I'm done I'll include pictures here.

It's not lost on me how different I am this March than last.  Last year at this time I was just figuring out what was wrong with me and feeling horrible...and it was getting worse by the day.  There was no slinging of mulch bags or even wanting to plant things.  I was too tired and sick.  But this year, thanks to Muffy, I'm back and loving every minute of it while it lasts.  Let's hope it lasts for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment