Monday, April 18, 2011

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Well my friends, let's return to that bygone time of April 2010.  One short year ago, and the official beginning of my Cushing's saga.  I knew something was wrong for months before April 2010, but didn't actually get to the doctor and have a diagnosis until April.  And thus started the wildest year of my life...

Last night Keith and I went over to our friends Carrie and Bruce's house for a celebratory barbecue.  April 2010 marked Carrie's breast cancer diagnosis (out of the blue thanks to a routine well-woman exam) and sent her down a wild path herself.  We are both doing quite well now, she is cancer free and Muffy has my Cushing's under control, and figure that this spring and summer should be dedicated to appreciating what we've been through and what we have.  That will include much enjoying each other, outdoor barbecues, and life in general.  Because we can.  Which can't be said for either of us a year ago.

Looking back it's still hard to put into words how my life has changed because of what I've been through and what I've seen Carrie go through.  Everything just seems trite and like things any run of the mill inspirational speaker would say.  But I'm overwhelmed by the fact that you can do everything right, plan for every contingency, totally type-A your life until it's locked down so tight there is no wiggle room, and the Universe can still, without warning or reason, turn it upside down.  No need to get your knickers in a knot wondering why, it just does.  So you have to live your life every day so that if something happens tomorrow, you have no regrets.  Hug the people you love, do the things on your bucket list, live your life full and loud every day.  And celebrate accomplishments.  Like making it through a year like no other.  Raise a glass of your beverage of choice and be thankful for the opportunity to live one more day.  Life is what you make it, so make it good.

No comments:

Post a Comment