Monday, February 7, 2011

Oh village, my village...

I have often talked about my gaggle of doctors at the NIH, but I don't think I've given enough time to the Village it takes to keep me going here in KC.  Unfortunately one of my village people is leaving and I am feeling a little sad.

Back back back long long ago, I used to do triathlons.  I wasn't very good, but I loved doing them.  Or maybe I just liked training for them and would have felt like a fool without actually entering an event.  Either way, that's what my life before Cushing's revolved around.  And yes, Keith, the pups and working part time were all in there too.  But training was what I really loved to do for me and only me.  It was my time to forget about everything else. 

To keep this body of mine going, however, I needed a Village.  My Village included my trainer Jenn, my massage therapist Barb, and my chiropractor Jesse.  Between the three of them, I could keep going and reach all the fitness goals I wanted while still being able to walk and laugh.  Then I started having hip problems and Dr. Cook got added to the Village.  After hip replacement Jeanne the physical therapist got added to the Village and I recovered better and stronger than I was before the surgery. 

And then Cushing's hit.  When I stopped being able to work out with Jenn anymore, Jesse and Barb kept me going through the physical ups and downs of the Cushings.  They watched as my body deteriorated and my attitude changed.  They laughed, and sometimes cried, at the ups, downs, and craziness the last year brought me.  But they made my body feel better and kept me up right and moving.

Like all good disco groups, my Village was destined to have someone leave the band.  Jesse is the designated one.  He practices Active Release Chiropractic.  I don't know technically what that means, but I do know it helps my muscles, joints and everything in between feel better whether I've been working out like an animal, or laying on the couch wishing I could find the energy to get up.  It's time for him to move away and start a new chapter in his life and I am excited for him.  But my Village will be like a stool that has lost a leg.  He cannot be replaced.

Jesse being Jesse, would never leave his patients hanging, and has given us over to his associate whom he claims is just as capable.  I will hold judgement on that since this Luke person looks like he's 12 (more and more people look like that to me these days...), and probably doesn't have a good knowledge base in 1970's TV shows.  Besides, I'm prejudiced.  Luke (do you think he'd be offended if I called him Doogie Howser?) will have to prove himself to me not only as a chiropractor, but as a fellow dork.  Otherwise there is no way I can accept him into my Village.  I will keep you posted on how that turns out.

I am off tomorrow to the NIH for a brief stay for drug study protocol stuff.  2 full days of probing and prodding are scheduled and then I fly back on Friday. I am looking forward to seeing my Cushing's friend Christy, who is there on an extended stay monitoring an even newer drug treatment for her Cushing's than mine, and the best nurse ever Casey.   Much fun will be had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment