Tuesday, February 25, 2014

It's like falling of a bike....

Here I am back at the NIH for my annual (give or take a month or so) two week probe, drain and scan. I know the process now - where everything is, who the players are and how things work. In some ways it was better when I came here more often because the people would recognize me and know my name. But over the past two years my body and face has changed so much (and thankfully back to the way all of you know me!) that now they don't recognize and remember me this way! Of course as soon as I open my mouth and put on my tiara it all comes flooding back.

Most people want to know what I do when I'm here. And basically it's easy. Wait for a blood draw, get a blood draw, wait for an injection of radioactive contrast, have an injection of radioactive contrast, wait for a scan, have a scan, wait for my meds, take my meds, order a meal, wait for a meal, eat a meal. Then repeat multiple times during the day. Boom. There you have it. No more need to wonder. You are now fully informed.

Keith told me last night that he admired me for getting through the days here.  Patience has never been a virtue I possess and I can see how it would seem crazy that I can manage days that revolve around waiting for something or other, and laying in scan tubes for hours without totally losing it . I can see that, but understand my point of view. If I got my knickers in a knot it would just make everything worse and why would I want to do that?  I don't have a choice about what happens here. My control only goes so far. But I still have control over the way I think about it and deal with events. As long as I control that everything else is manageable. Not to mention that all I have to do is take a look around at the other people on my ward and the kids 4 floors down and I remember how lucky I am to be doing as well as I am. And I owe all of that to the people and process here. Consider these knickers un-knot-able at this point. Besides, I have hair and fit into my pants. Need I say more?...

I'll try to post more as the week progresses and the test and scan results come in. We are hoping that a tumor is found and in addition to all the usual scans there is a new one that's being tested that my doctors think may be the ticket. Of course if a tumor is found then we have to decide what and when to do something about it. Which will be hard and complicated. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. There's always the possibility that nothing will turn up and I'll be sent home to endure the same "wait and see" merry go round that I've been on for the past year. Right now I honestly can't decide which to hope for, but I probably go toward the don't get your hopes up side. That doesn't mean that you all can't hope they find something. In fact, please do.

Well, I have to call for my lunch and wait for it to come. Another exciting day...






No comments:

Post a Comment