Monday, July 11, 2011

To Improve or not to Improve - that is the question...

I'm not talking personal improvement here people, I'm talking Home Improvement!  Paint.  Caulk.  Trim.  Curtains.  Decor.  The whole shebang.  Those of you who have found me on the Facebook machine know that I've been obsessed with working on the house while recovering from my left hip replacement surgery.  That may also seem to be a little strange even for someone like me who loves to pretend I'm an HGTV guru with an ability to turn even the saddest space into a retreat worthy of a high end spa.  However in my convoluted way of thinking, home improvement projects are the perfect way of dealing with my situation right now.  See if you can follow the logic (or lack thereof) here...

When you're trapped in the house recovering from surgery there is nothing else to look at but the TV and the walls.  If you don't like the color of those walls, or the curtains hanging in the window on one of those walls, there isn't much you can do about obsessing over it.  It's always there - taunting you.  Mocking you.  Challenging you to do something about it.  This is how the list of projects begins.  Out of an Oxycodone haze a beautiful home can grow...

The next step is actually starting the projects on the ever burgeoning home improvement to do list.  Here's where, again, Cushing's has served me well over the last year and a half.  I have all the supplies to do most of the projects that need to be done.  Cushing's kind of just put a stop to my activity but only after I had stocked up on painting supplies, home decor fabric, wood stripping supplies, and much much more.  I have a labeler.  I have plastic bins in the basement.  I have OCD.  Need I say more?  So I was all set to pick up where Cushing's made me leave off as soon as my hip stopped being a constant pain level 8 and my energy level and strength came up from below the basement. 

The last step is doing.  Here's where I think people wonder how and why I do it.  My response is "what else is there to do?"  Seriously, what else?  Sit around?  Watch TV?  Read a book?  All good options, don't get me wrong.  But not fitting for what I'm going through physically and mentally right now. I'm stressed out that the Cushing's symptoms are coming back.  I'm starting on a new medication that my body will react to God knows how.  I'm not sleeping.  I'm recovering from major surgery and trying to get physically back to "normal".  And it's really, really hot outside.  All of that is an omen to me saying stay inside and work like a dog.  When all this is over I'll have a beautiful home as well as a healthy body.  What more could a girl ask for?

So I highly recommend the Home Improvement Physical Therapy method.  It's fun, it's productive and it's profitable at resale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment